Library of Things
The Library of Things refers to items and equipment that extend beyond the traditional definition of a library's collection.
This collection supplements the Library's efforts to meet the diverse needs of our community. In doing so, Beaman Library is able to support our community's ability to pursue lifelong learning and creativity by providing access to items that may be otherwise unattainable due to financial or other barriers or not previously discovered.
The Library of Things currently offers the following items for borrowing:
- Bushnell Falcon All-Purpose Binoculars
- Gingerbread Man Baking Pan
- Knitting Kit
- Springform Pan
- Watercolor Kit
The following guidelines are in place for the borrowing of the above Library of Things items:
- The patron must have an active CW MARS library card in good standing.
- The items can not be placed on hold - patrons must visit the Library to select and borrow the item(s).
- The item may be borrowed for 21 days with no renewals.
- The item must be returned to Beaman Library and brought inside. Please do not leave in the outside book drops.
Beaman Library has hotspots available for borrowing! These devices are a great option for those who need internet access while on the go or have limited or unreliable internet access at home.
There are several guidelines in place for the borrowing of hotspots including:
- The borrower must be 17 years old or older with an active CW MARS library card in good standing.
- Hotspots can not be placed on hold - patrons must visit the Library to borrow a hotspot.
- The device may be checked out for 14 days with no renewals.
- Hotspots must be kept in a temperature-controlled environment.
- Hotspots must be returned directly to a staff member.
- If the hotspot is not returned within 3 days after the due date, service will be turned off and the hotspot will become unusable.
- If the hotspot is damaged or not working, return it to the Beaman Memorial Public Library Adult Service Desk. Report the nature of the damage to a staff person.
- Problems? Direct borrower technical support is provided by T-Mobile at: (844) 341-4834.
- Any use of the device for illegal purposes, unauthorized copying of copyright-protected material in any format, or transmission of threatening, harassing, defamatory or obscene materials is strictly prohibited.
- Borrowing privileges may be affected if the hotspot is returned late, damaged, or with missing parts.
View the CW MARS catalog for more information or call the Library at 508-835-3711 with questions.
Beaman Library also has an Orion StarBlast Tabletop Telescope available for borrowing!
Guidelines associated with the borrowing of the telescope are listed below:
- Borrowers must be a resident of West Boylston, 18 years or older, and possess a CW MARS library card with no fines or overdues that has been valid for a minimum of 6 months. A valid CW MARS library card, photo ID, and proof of residency must be presented at time of borrowing. (A MA Driver’s License or government issued photo I.D. showing WB residency are preferable.)
- The telescope can not be placed on hold - patrons must visit the Library to borrow the telescope.
- The loan period is 7 days with a LATE FEE of $10.00 PER DAY. Renewals are offered only if no one is on the waiting list. If the telescope is not returned within two weeks of its due date the full replacement cost will be charged to the borrower.
- The telescope must be returned directly to a staff member at the front desk by the borrower at least 30 minutes prior to closing. The borrower will need to be present during the check-in procedure. A fine will be assessed if the telescope is not returned at least 30 minutes prior to closing.
- The telescope must be transported in a vehicle and secured safely in the provided transportation tote with the eyepiece and finder correctly positioned so it will not be damaged.
Additional information is available in the CW MARS catalog. Please call the Library at 508-835-3711 with questions or to arrange a time to borrow the telescope!