West Boylston has become known for the Old Stone Church: a steely remnant of the flooded town, an entry on the National Register of Historic Places, a frequent attraction for visitors from around Worcester County.
The First Baptist Church, the predecessor of the Old Stone Church, shown on the right was the second house of worship for the Baptist Society in West Boylston, dedicated on December 6, 1832.
But, of course, the Old Stone Church is not the only church in West Boylston's history.
The First Baptist Church, the predecessor of the Old Stone Church, shown on the far left was the second house of worship for the Baptist Society in West Boylston, dedicated on December 6, 1832. This church and its neighboring Catholic Church (near right), were destroyed by a fire on May 2, 1890.
The present Old Stone Church (First Baptist Church) was built on the same site and was scheduled for dedication on March 17, 1892, but a fire again badly damaged the interior of the church and the dedication was postponed until May 19, 1892.
The image on the right is of the First Congregational Church known as the Brick Church built in 1832. At the far left of the image is Thomas Hall, named for Town benefactor, Robert B. Thomas the founder of the Old Farmer's Almanac. Town meetings were held in this building from the 1840's to1900. Thomas Hall was also the location of the first high school. To the rear of Thomas Hall are the carriage barns for both the church and the hall. This church stood on the corner of Howe and East Main Streets near Thomas Hall.
The First Liberal Congregational Church, pictured on the left, stood at the corner of Central and Worcester Streets beside Thomas Hall, the town's former town hall, down in the valley. This church was dismantled during the construction of the reservoir.
Pictured on the right is St. Anthony's Catholic Church adjacent to the Old Stone Church. The church and the rectory were located on the northern side of East Main Street. The rectory was relocated during the construction of the Wachusett Reservoir to 29 Central Street.
If you look close enough in this picture, you can see the St. Anthony's steeple looming above the trees, and the Old Stone Church sitting in front of it at the edge of the hill.
The final image depicts a building which still stands, the Baptist Church on Church Street. This church houses the stained glass windows and numerous furnishings from the Old Stone Church. The building now serves as the town's Masonic Lodge.